200+ IELTS Speaking Test Sample Questions
Are you preparing to write the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for study, work or settlement purposes? In yes, then you might find this content useful. It contains over 200 IELTS speaking test sample questions some of which have been actual questions on the test.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why is this List Important?
- 2 Part 1: Introduction and Interview
- 2.1 Advertisement
- 2.2 Colours
- 2.3 Computers
- 2.4 Family
- 2.5 Free time
- 2.6 Weekdays
- 2.7 Work
- 2.8 Education
- 2.9 Studies
- 2.10 Hometown
- 2.11 Weather / Seasons
- 2.12 Home
- 2.13 Social
- 2.15 Wedding
- 2.16 Travel
- 2.17 Computers
- 2.18 Internet
- 2.19 Email
- 2.20 Friend
- 2.21 Intelligent Individuals
- 2.22 Place
- 2.23 Smoking
- 2.24 Marriage
- 2.25 Market
- 2.26 Hobbies
- 2.27 Shopping
- 2.28 Sports
- 2.29 Food
- 2.30 Festival
- 2.31 Television
- 2.32 Tourism
- 2.33 Nature
- 2.34 Daily routine
- 2.35 Your country
- 2.36 Clothes
- 2.37 Going out
- 2.38 Games
- 2.39 Colours
- 2.40 Music
- 2.41 Nature / environment
- 2.42 Neighbours
- 2.43 Bicycle
- 3 Part 2: Individual long turn
Why is this List Important?
You may still have problems with the IELTS speaking test section whether you’ve been speaking English all your life. This is because of 2 main reasons:
- You don’t know the topic
- You don’t know enough words to talk about the topic.
Here’s a kind of question students with great English-language proficiency might struggle with:
- What is the difference between a magazine and a newspaper?
Truth be told, even some native English speakers don’t know the actual difference between a magazine and newspaper. Whether you know the answer to the question above or not, you don’t want your response to be, “Sir/Madam, I’m sorry I don’t know the answer”. This will not help you gain a high band score on the test. So a list like this is meant to expose you to the types of questions that could appear in your IELTS speaking test.
Part 1: Introduction and Interview
- Are advertisements important?
- Do they help people buy products?
- Do you watch advertisements on TV or the internet? (why / why not?)
- IELTS Speaking Test Sample Questions-ARTS
- Do you think art is important in life, such as painting and sculptures?
- Did you draw anything when you were at school?
- Are there any art galleries or museums in your hometown?
- What colour do you like?
- Why do you like that colour?
- Do you like blue colour?
- Why do you like blue colour?
- Why don’t you like blue colour?
- What colour would you paint your car if you had one, and why?
- Do you like red colours (why/why not)?
- Do you like green colours (why/why not)?
- When did you see a computer for the first time?
- Do you have a computer at home?
- How is it important for you? Why?
- When do you use a computer and for what purpose?
- IELTS Speaking Test Sample Questions-COUNTRY SIDE
- Do you think it’s better to live on the countryside (why/why not)?
- IELTS Speaking Test Sample Questions-YOU
- Describe yourself.
- Do you wear a watch?
- What is the value of time in your life?
- Describe your family
- Do you have a large or small family?
- How much time do you spend with your family?
- What do you like to do together as a family?
- Do you get along well with your family?
- Are people in your country generally close to their families?
- What type of activities do you like to do in your free time?
- How long have you been interested in these activities?
- Do you like to do these activities alone or with other people? (Why)?
- Do you think people have enough free time? (Why/why not)?
- Have you been to any swimming pool anywhere?
- Do you spend all weekends in the same way?
- What is your favourite day of the week? Why?
- What day is the busiest for you? Why?
- What do you do on weekends?
- Do you wear any particular outfit on weekdays or weekend? (Why/why not?)
- Will you change it in the future? (why / why not?)
- What do you do for a living?
- Describe your work style.
- What are your responsibilities?
- How do you handle pressure in the workplace?
- How many hours do you work each day?
- How did you get this job?
- Do you enjoy your work?
- What do you enjoy about your work?
- What do you dislike about your work?
- Is there some other kind of work you would rather do?
- Describe your career goals.
- Do you prefer to work alone or on a team?
- Do you think teamwork is important?
- If you could change your job or profession, what would you do?
- Do you think your way of work or work culture will change in future?
- Describe the process of getting a job in your country.
- When is the most productive time for you: morning or afternoon?
- Describe the company or organization you work for.
- What is your position?
- Describe your education.
- What kind of school did you go to as a child?
- Did you go to a co-educational school?
- What was your favourite subject as a child?
- Who was your favourite teacher?
- What is the education system like in your country?
- Do you think your country has an effective education system?
- What are you studying now?
- What do you like about the course you study?
- What is your area of specialization?
- Is being late acceptable in your culture? (Why/why not)?
- Are you ever late for appointments? (Why/why not)?
- What type of excuses do you think are alright for lateness?
- How do you feel when someone is late for an appointment with you?
- Describe your hometown.
- What’s special about it?
- What’s it like growing up in your hometown?
- Has it changed much since you were a child?
- Where is your hometown located?
- Is it easy to travel around your hometown?
- What is it known for?
- What do people in your town do?
- What are the main industries in your hometown?
- What problems face your hometown?
- What languages are spoken in your hometown?
- What are the advantages of living in your hometown?
- What are some problems faced by your hometown?
- Compare your hometown with another city
- What are some environmental problems faced by your hometown?
- How often is it raining in your hometown?
Weather / Seasons
- What’s the weather like in your country?
- Does the weather affect your mood?
- How do rainy days make you feel?
- What’s your favourite season of the year?
- What do you like to do when it’s hot?
- What do you usually do in the winter?
- Do you like cold weather?
- What weather do you like the most? Why?
- Do you prefer any particular season?
- Would you like it to continue throughout the year or should the seasons keep changing?
- How many seasons does your country have?
- Do you like when its rains? (Why/why not)?
- Describe your home.
- What kind of building do you live in?
- How long have you lived there?
- What do you like about your room?
- Describe your room.
- Why did you choose that room?
- What do you think about parties?
- Why do/don’t you like them?
- What do you think about politeness?
- Have you ever been to a wedding?
- Whose wedding was it?
- Where was it held?
- What clothes do people wear?
- Describe the wedding ceremony.
- What sort of gifts do people buy for the bridal couple?
- What kind of clothes did the bride and groom wear?
- Do you like to travel?
- Describe a journey you’ve been to?
- What kind of places have you visited in your life?
- Which place would you really like to visit? Why?
- What’s the best place you’ve ever visited?
- Do you think computers help society?
- Do you think computers are bad for health?
- How do you think computers have changed the world?
- Do you use the Internet much during the day?
- What do you usually do on the Internet?
- What are some advantages of the Internet?
- What are some disadvantages?
- Do people in your country use the Internet a lot?
- Do you do any shopping on the Internet?
- Do you send and receive email regularly?
- Who do you usually communicate with?
- How often do you check your email?
- Do you think writing email has strengthened or weakened people’s writing skills?
- What are some disadvantages of email?
- Describe a friend.
- How long have you known each other?
- What do usually do together?
- What do you like the most about him / her?
- How often do you see each other?
- Do you like to meet intelligent people? (Why/why not?)
- What can you learn from them?
- Do you think intelligent people are the happiest people in the world?
- Describe a place you like to go.
- Why is this place special to you?
- When did you first visit this place?
- Where is this place located?
- What language is spoken here? Do you speak this language?
- What do you feel about smoking in public places?
- Do you think smoking should be banned in people’s homes?
- What is the attitude toward marriage in your country?
- Do most young people plan on getting married in your country?
- What are some of the advantages of marriage?
- What are some of the disadvantages of marriage?
- Is the divorce rate high in your country?
- Do you think people should be allowed to get divorced?
- Do you plan on getting married?
- Where there many street markets in your country? Why?
- Do you like buying at street markets? Why?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What are some of your hobbies?
- When did you first develop this hobby?
- What are some of the advantages of having a hobby?
- How much time do you spend on your hobby?
- Do you enjoy watching movies?
- What’s your favourite film?
- Who are your favourite actors?
- How often do you watch films?
- Do you enjoy shopping?
- How do you feel about shopping?
- Do you like shopping on the Internet?
- Do you have any favourite stores?
- What don’t you like about shopping?
- Which is the most popular place to shop in your hometown?
- Do you like sports?
- Describe a sport event you have been to.
- Do you enjoy watching sports?
- Do you enjoy participating in any sports?
- Which sports are most popular in your country?
- What’s your favourite sport?
- When did you first become interested in sports?
- How often do you participate in sports?
- What equipment do you need for your favourite sport?
- What are some of your favourite foods?
- What foods are popular in your country?
- What are some of the famous dishes of your country?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
- Who is cooking in your family?
- When you were a child, who was cooking for you?
- What do you usually eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? (Why?)
- What age do you think children should be taught to cook? (Why? )
- Do you think it’s important to know how to cook well?
- What nutrition is good for children in your opinion? (why?)
- What’s the most important festival in your country?
- How do people celebrate this festival?
- What special food is associated with this festival?
- What special activities are associated with this festival?
- What do you enjoy most about this festival?
- Do you think festivals are important for a society?
- Do you watch television a lot?
- What do you usually watch on television?
- How many hours of television do you usually watch?
- What are the most popular shows in your country?
- What kind of shows do you like to watch?
- What are some advantages of television?
- What are some of the disadvantages of television?
- What did you last watch on television?
- Why do you think certain TV shows are so popular?
- Do you like to watch TV? – How often do you do it?
- What programs do you usually watch?
- Do you think children are addicted to TV these days?
- Which places would you recommend to a visitor to your country?
- Do a lot of tourists visit your country?
- What do they usually do there?
- How has tourism changed your country?
- Is your country expensive for most tourists?
- What are some famous landmarks in your country?
- Do you love nature?
- What do you love about nature?
- Describe your daily routine.
- What do you usually do?
- What do you do on the weekend?
- What is your typical weekday like?
- Does your life change much from week to week?
- Do you have any free time during the week?
- Which country are you from?
- Where is this country located?
- Which part of the country do most people live in?
- What are the main industries in your country?
- Is it easy to travel around your country?
- What type of clothes do you like to wear?
- What kind of clothes do people in your country usually wear?
- How important is fashion to you?
- What kind of clothes do you dislike?
- Do you think people behave differently in different kinds of clothes?
- What kind of clothes do people wear to work in your country?
- Are clothes expensive in your country?
- Do you like going out or staying at home?
- What do you like to do when you go out?
- How often do you go out?
- Do people in your country go out a lot?
- How and where do people in your country usually socialize?
- What kind of entertainment is popular in your country?
- Do you enjoy playing any games?
- Why do you like “that” game?
- What kind of games do you play?
- Do you think adults should play games?
- What do children learn from games?
- What kind of games did you play when you were a child?
- What games are popular in your country today?
- What kind of games were popular when you were young?
- Do you think mental games like chess are good for you?
- Do you have a favourite colour?
- What are your country’s colours?
- Do you think colours affect our moods?
- Can you learn anything about a person from the colours he / she likes?
- Do you like the same colours now as you did when you were a child?
- Do you like music?
- What kind of music do you like?
- Does music have an effect on peoples lives?
- When do you usually listen to music?
- What kind of music did you like when you were younger?
- What kind of music is popular in your country?
- Do you play any musical instruments?
- Do you wish you could play any musical instruments?
- Which is your favourite instrument?
Nature / environment
- What do you like about nature?
- Do you like to live in a place filled with nature?
- Are there a lot of trees near your home?
- Do you like trees?
- What is the importance of trees?
- Have you ever planted one?
- Do you know the people who live next door to you?
- How often do you see each other?
- What kind of relationship do you have?
- How can neighbours be helpful?
- What kind of problems can people have with their neighbours in a big city?
- Is bicycle a good way to move around?
- Do you think that there should be a separate lane for bicycles?
- Why should a child have a bicycle?
Part 2: Individual long turn
- Describe good news that you saw on TV or the Internet
- Talk about the most intelligent person you know.
- Describe an occasion when you received a very good service from a company or a shop.
- Describe your favourite animal.
- Describe a famous person in your country.
- Describe the happiest recent event that you had.
This is very helpful
This is a good one